27 August 2015

The first ten days

After a two week layover in Texas, I made the second half the road trip from hell in record time with my mother. This time the hijinks were mainly vehicular, and we vowed not to ever speak of them again. But it all started with my poor Mazda getting crunched sitting on our quiet suburban street where my sister had parked her two cars for almost 15 months without incident. And it went downhill from there. Bowie managed to create more havoc when we woke up at 4 am in our hotel in Las Cruces to find he had crawled inside the box-spring of the bed.

It wasn't all terrible. My mom and I have a similar sense of humor so we laughed about most of the ridiculous incidents. And we both thought it was cute when the guy sped up on the highway to show us the sign that said he was from Cranston, fooled into thinking I was a native Rhode Islander in Texas. Both halves of the cross-country journey were at least memorable, and perhaps the last long-distance drives with my parents ever.

La Jolla Sea Lions
Ten days into living in Los Angeles: pictures are making their way onto walls, I finally have hot water, wifi coming tomorrow and my California medical license arrived after a similar layover in Texas.  Forward momentum is picking up, but there are still a million hurdles between me and the hospitals and the DMV. Everything is difficult in this state. I don't know what I would have done without a month buffer to get settled in.

I also had my first house guests (troopers for enduring the camp-style conditions and cold showers).  Explored mountains and beaches. Taken a roadtrip along the PCH. Chilled with sea lions and seals.  Done the rings on Muscle Beach. Saw the stars on Hollywood Boulevard. Spotted my first papparazzi. Have three different types of waste receptacles to navigate. My tan is absolutely out of control.  Now a member of not one but two! wine clubs. I'll probably always be a tourist, but part of me is becoming a Californian.

No comments:

Post a Comment