04 August 2015

Roadtrip Part 1

I'm not going to say everything that could go wrong did, since I made it to Texas in one piece. But it was HIGH DRAMA HIGH STRESS all the time.

The first day: Three hours in Bowie never stopped howling and pooped in his carrier and it was obviously impossible to ignore. Unfortunately the GPS navigator had taken us on the less desirable NYC route so much like my previous mistake on my road trip to New Jersey, we were unwittingly stopping in the Bronx. My little Mazda 3 felt smaller and smaller as I juggled the carriers and cleaned out the accident in a Target parking lot.

One hour later my CD player and my only planned source of entertainment jammed. Bummer.

Day two: after my parents had their meeting with my grandparents regarding all the grownup stuff I hate (wills, financial planning, etc), in the process of packing up to leave Bowie's carrier opened in half and dropped and he ran out of my grandparents garage toward their expansive backyard and the woods. There was a lot of commotion and screaming and I was the first one to get to him as he stupidly tried to fit through a fence instead of going through the open gate. He got caught at his hips and I stood in front of him to try to push him back.  I should have waited for backup, but he sunk his giant stinky vampire teeth into my left forearm and left thenar eminence (thumb pad). By the time my parents got to us and helped dismantle the picket fence to free him I was bleeding and swelling in a scary way that made me convinced that my arm was going to get necrotizing fasciitis or compartment syndrome and need surgeries that would leave my surgical career in the dust. I also lost my cell phone in the process - so most of the blood, sweat and tears of the trip happened in that afternoon.

Two days and some prophylactic antibiotics later Bowie and I are finally recovering. I know my grandparents and parents must think I cannot handle adversity with the way this trip went, but to be in this insecure position where I haven't started the job yet, the contract I signed is not in my favor, unclear if there is any disability insurance - it was enough to make me panic that my future was going to come crumbling down before it even started. That on top of finding out my other 101-year-old grandfather is dying, have pushed me over the edge. I know I am my mother's daughter, my grandmother's granddaughter: I am extremely anxious about things I cannot control.

The good things of the trip:

When we rolled into Alabama I overheard a woman at the gas station trying to help explain to the cashier what someone else needed - people are so much friendlier.  Yes they are nosey, but they are friendly.

Five seconds into being back in Kingwood I ran on the greenbelts and got at least 10 "good morning" greetings from strangers.  The type of thing that I didn't love growing up, but missed in Rhode Island - especially when I was walking in the hospital by people I actually knew.  Felt like a freak for smiling.

Ten seconds into going into the H.E.B. (best grocery store ever) I was face to face with one of my oldest friend's mother. It's nice to hear how people are doing, even if I see it on Facebook.  I know my Facebook is skewed in a way that makes people think I'm much more extroverted and active than I am just because of the way I like to take stalker photos and post them.

Kingwood is just like I left it, and I'm a hormonal teenager again.

No comments:

Post a Comment